The 16th issue of the Journal of Sonic Studies (http://www.sonicstudies.org) is online.
JSS16, “Materials of Sound” is the first of two issues that respond to a call for sound practices to be thought through the materials of their making. That is, the physical materials that create the sound-producing event are critical to the understanding of the sound produced. In the practices under investigation, arts and culture is read through materials and, in these cases, the materials are sonic.
- Editorial – Caleb Kelly
- Materials of Sound: Sound As (More Than) Sound – Caleb Kelly
- Len Lye’s Kinetic Experiments: Sounds of Sculpture – Sarah Wall
- Silviphonics: Sound in Timber – Vincent Wozniak O’Connor
- Traumatic Ruins and The Archeology of Sound: William Basinski’s The Disintegration Loops – Lindsay Balfour
- Fugue States – Tyler Shoemaker
- “Step by Step”: Reading and Re-writing Urban Space Through the Footstep – Elena Biserna
- Not at Home: The Uncanny Experiences of Radio Home Run – Heather Contant
- Bodies and Energy, Circuits and Sound: Rethinking and Listening to Leon Ernest Eeman’s Relaxation Circuit with a Biosynthesiser – Pia van Gelder